YES, the POP Club continues in 2016! It’s free to join for kids 5 years to 12 yers…just come and see us at the year-round market site, 2051 Kaen Rd, off Beavercreek Rd.The Winter Market runs every other Saturday, 10am-2pm through April. Starting May 7th we run every Saturday, 9am-2pm through October.
The Power Of Produce (POP) Club is a nationally recognized kids program started at the Oregon City Farmers Market in May 2011, to empower kids to make healthy food choices, introducing them to where their food comes from. Watch it in action at the summer market in 2014: http://youtu.be/JkXZATbO3Pg
This program is now being implemented in many farmers markets across the US and in Canada. In 2015 2006 kids joined the Power Of Produce Club at our Market, resulting in over 6,200 kid shopping trips. We’re raising the next generation of Market shoppers and good food eaters!
HOW THE POP CLUB WORKS: KIDS, between the ages of 5-12yrs :
- Sign their “Passport To Health”. We keep the Passport at the Market’s Info. booth to track participation.
- Receive a POP reusable shopping bag. (one time)
- Receive a POP Button.
- Receive $2 EVERY time they come to market, in wooden tokens to spend on fresh fruits and vegetables and food plants.
- Participate in value-creating activities (POP CLUB FUN!) based around food, nutrition and food growing. At every summer Saturday Market you can find activities such as seed planting (beans, sunflowers, lettuce, herbs), salad-making, flour-grinding and pancake-making, freezer jam making, , jumping around with the Lions Club and much more. Fave Farmer Day is a special day! …the kids make buttons decorated with their fave fruit or veggies and pin it on their fave farmer. Cider Pressing takes place in October.
- The USDA posted about the POP Club on their blog, August 8th 2013 http://blogs.usda.gov/2013/08/08/farmers-markets-teaching-kids-where-food-comes-from/
Clackamas County Soil and Water Conservation District has funded this seasons POP Club with help from the Oregon City Optimists Club, On Point Community Credit Union, Bob’s Red Mill...and the many customers and supporters who donate small amounts at the Market …keep it coming, we need constant support to keep the program going!
Please note you can make a tax-deductable donation to the POP Club at the Market or if you would prefer to send in a donation to keep this fantastic healthy-eating club going please make your check out to OCFM and mail with your return address to PO Box 2931, Oregon City, Oregon, 97045. Please take the time to fill out a comment form about the program at the market! We would like to remind our sponsors how much value this program is creating. Thanks:)